First Assignment – Compose an avant-garde composition.
- Open PrintMusic! (It's on the desktop.)
- Click on the SETUP WIZARD.
- Click Next > past the first window. You will not use a common ensemble.
- Choose at least 8 completely different instruments. You will be able to write myriad solos, duets, trios, quartets, quintets, sextets, septets and octets.
- Invent a completely original title.
- Click Next > past the time signatures and key signatures. You will add accidentals and experiment with novel rhythms.
- novel rhythms,
- unique melodies,
- distinct tessituras,
- unusual chords,
- interesting dynamics, and
- constrasting articulations.
- Consider the overall structure. Will your composition feature verses and refrains, an ABA form, theme and variations, or something else?
- Take advantage of Copy and Paste.
Save frequently as you work. When you are finished, save as a MIDI file and post your MIDI file online for the class to hear as follows:
- Go to D2L > MUS 110 > Communications > Discuss > Avant-garde Compositions > Start a New Thread
- Subject: Title (of your composition)
- Message: Program notes – Type three sentences that describe or explain your piece and/or your compositional process. You might cite the timbres, textures, articulations, dynamics, rhythms, pitches and/or structures you chose and how they contribute to your work. You might explain how you created the piece.
- To attach a file, click on the Add a File button > Upload to find your file and click Open and Add.
- Finally, click Post.