I play a scale in the key and at the tempo of the piece I am practicing. I start my metronome at that tempo and play ...
- 1 note per tick, 1 octave up and down,
- 2 notes per tick, 2 octaves up and down,
- 3 notes per tick, 3 octaves up and down,
- 4 notes per tick, 4 octaves up and down,
- 5 notes per tick, 5 octaves up and down (This is challenging.),
- 6 notes per tick, 3 octaves up and down,
- 7 notes per tick, any number of octaves up and down (7 notes in a scale.),
- 8 notes per tick, 4 octaves up and down.
OK, OK, at fast tempos I stop long before 8 notes per tick. My goal is to play all scales well at 640 notes per minute, hands together. Like distance runners, I keep a Personal Record. I focus on relaxing, playing absolutely evenly and producing a beautiful tone. Then, I practice the piece.