Lesson Plan Template
|Lesson Plan Title:||Understanding & Singing "Colors of the Wind"|
|Developed by:||Kayla M. Bogenrief, B.M.E., Northern State University, Aberdeen, South Dakota|
|Subject Area:||Fine Arts|
|Topic:||Colors of the Wind from Pocahontas|
|Grade Level:||High School|
|Time Frame:||Two Class periods, about 90 minutes|
|Prerequisites:||Most students will have taken music before and will be familiar with reading notes, time signature, tempo understanding the lyrics to music and singing with others.|
School Fine Arts Music Standards:
1. Students will perform and sing with expression. Students will use the performance of music as a means for creative expression and communication.
2. Students will create harmony together. Students will communicate their thoughts and ideas through the creation of music.
3. Students will read the music. Students will read and notate music.
4. Students will listen to and evaluate others. Students will
listen to, analyze, and evaluate music.
5. Students will understand relationships by learning about a different culture in the music. Students will understand music's relationship to society, the other arts, and disciplines outside the arts, history, and culture.
Retrieved from: http://doe.sd.gov/contentstandards/
|Lesson Objectives:||Students will be able to perform with expression and perform with confidence. Students will also be creative and imaginative which will show through their creation of music. Understanding the notation and reading music will be accomplished, hearing analyzing, and evaluating music will be understood. Finally students will understand different culture in music as well as the music's relationship to society, and culture.|
|Assessment:||Performance, Voice Lessons|
|Technology to be Used:||Compact Disc of Pocahontas, Compact Disc player, Television with VHS or DVD, Pocahontas the movie|
|Attachments:||Pocahontas Information, Separate Lesson Rubric, Performance Rubric, Index|