Lesson Plan (Clint Lewis)
8th Grade Nebraska
Chief Standing Bear
- Describe who Chief Standing Bear was (essay)
- Describe where Indian Territory was and where the Ponca Indians
said their land was. (maps)
- Follow map of the Ponca Trail of Tears, Cherokee Trail of Tears
- Analyze Photos of Standing Bear (analysis)
Nebraska Standards Covered in this Unit
- 8.1.5 Students will describe growth and change in
the United States from 1801-1861.
- 8.3.3 Students will compare the policymaking process
at the local, state, and national levels of government.
- 8.3.7 Students will summarize the rights and
responsibilities of United States citizens.
- 8.3.8 Students will describe the purpose and
function of the United States Constitution, including the Bill of
- 8.4.2 Students will demonstrate skills for
- 8.4.3 Students will develop skills in discussion,
debate, and persuasive writing by analyzing historical situations and
booklets of The Trail of Tears
Smart board to
- Movie Trial
of Standing Bear
- Worksheets for
fill out while watching the video.
- CD Tim McGraw to
play song Indian Outlaw
- Day One
- Read and Discuss
of the Cherokee Indians by R. Conrad Stein The
Trail of Tears.
Where was Indian Territory? Why
do you think
the U.S. Government chose this site for the Indians?
- Tell how we are
discuss the Ponca Indians’ version of the trail of tears.
- Discuss and map
where the Niobrara River
and the Missouri River connect, towns
counties currently in this area.
- Day Two
- Play Tim
song Indian Outlaw
- Bring up http://nebraskastudies.org and
1875 and then click on Trial of Standing Bear
about article and maps
- Why might the Ponca
be willing to move to a new location?
essay about who Chief Standing Bear is, who was Prairie Flower, White
and Bear Shield. Where is each buried?
- Day Three, and Four
Watch Video Trial of Standing Bear
video students will fill out worksheets that goes along with video
- Day Five
- Wrap up
students go to http://nebraskastudies.org
and describe in detail what they see in all pictures on the website.