SS 480/ Prof. Marmorstein
November 10, 1999
Garbage Can Slam
(This game is best suited for review for a test or quiz.)
1. Prepare an even amount of questions from the test and one more question
for a tiebreaker.
2. Get an empty garbage can, a ball (tape ball works best), and a short
object (a track baton works best).
3. Divide the class in half and start pairing students up one from
4. One pair gets in front of the class and they are asked the question.
5. The student with the correct answer is allowed to choose the ball
6. The student with the ball takes a shot at the garbage can and the
student with the object tries to block.
7. 2 points are awarded for the correct answer and 1 point is awarded
for a successful shot or block.
8. If the students who are in front of the class cannot answer the
question the rest of the class may answer by raising hands. If the
question is answered correctly the student goes to the front of the class
and chooses to shoot or block and this does not count as their turn.
So, they get to go up again if it is their turn.
9. After each question two different students come up to answer the
10. Any student who throws the object while blocking will forfeit 3
(Best suited for new information in a book or packet)
1. Prior to this activity students should be given a reading assignment
where the students are put into four groups of four. (If there are
odd numbers pair students up.) Each group will read a certain part
of the total assignment.
2. The next day students will get into their groups and take notes
on the material they read.
3. Then three students will be placed into separate groups and will
teach the other students the material they read about.
e.g. Before 1111 2222
3333 4444 After 1234 1234