Native American History
Lesson Plan One: The Lakota Sioux
Level 6 to 8
· To learn about the history of the Lakota Sioux
· To learn basic words of the Lakota Sioux language
· To access Lakota Sioux information using the Internet
· To learn key figures of the Lakota Sioux Tribe
· To locate current Lakota Sioux Reservations
· To recognize the culture of the Lakota people
· Computer with Internet connection
· Colored Pencils
· The Dull Knifes of Pine Ridge by Joe Starita
1. Make a List of key figures in that have been apart of the Lakota Tribe. Put these figures in order from earliest to latest according to their accomplishments and significance to Native American culture. In addition, list ten words of the Lakota language and give their translation.
2. Using the Internet, find a map of the current Lakota reservations. Mark where there are currently Lakota reservations in the United States. In addition, tell when the reservation was established.
3. Suggested web sites include:
1. From your reading of The Dull Knifes of Pine Ridge, explain three aspects of Lakota culture. (What are they like? What do they like to do? What is important to them?)
2. Write a brief story about a day in the life of a famous Lakota Indian.