Dr. Johnson was born at Truman, MN, on May 23, 1919. He graduated from Truman High School in 1937. He was married in 1942 to Elise Just in Minneapolis, MN. He graduated from the University of Minnesota School of Medicine in 1943, then served his internship in the Naval Hospital at Seattle, WA. As a lieutenant in the Naval Medical Corps, he saw service in World War II as a beach party medical officer attached to attack transport U.S.S. New Kent and was on duty on Okinawa on "D-Day" in the South Pacific. Following his discharge from the Navy, Dr. Johnson went to Lincoln, NE, for medical residency at Lincoln General Hospital, where he became interested in obstetrics. In ensuing years, he delivered more than 3,500 babies, including 25 sets of twins. In 1947, he joined the Bratrud Clinic in Thief River Falls, MN. He moved to Milbank, SD, in 1950 to join Dr. D.A. Gregory in a partnership. Together they built the Milbank Clinic. He retired from the present Milbank Clinic in 1985.Dr. Johnson was a member of Emanuel Lutheran Church where he served as an elder and on building projects. He was a charter and life member of the Milbank Kiwanis Club with perfect attendance for 45 years until his illness prevented his attending. He served as president and lieutenant governor. Dr. Johnson served as Commander of the American legion Post and was named Grand Medicine of the South Dakota 40 et 8 in 1970. He was charter and life member of the Grant County Historical Society. He served as a Milbank School Board member for 20 years, 18 as president. He was a member of the South Dakota Medical Association, serving in district offices and as a councilor and delegate. He was a member of the American Medical Association; he served on the boards of the South Dakota Foundation for Medical Care; the South Dakota Professional Standards Review, and South Dakota Blue Cross Blue Shield, for which he also served as president. In addition, he was a Clinical Assistant Professor at the University of South Dakota. Dr. Johnson served as Grant County coroner, as county health officer and on the insanity board. The South Dakota Lung Association honored him for outstanding service as president of Grant county Lung Association for more than 25 years.
Among Dr. Johnson's many honors were a 1966 award
for Distinguished Service in Education from the South Dakota State University;
a 1965 Certificate of Merit for Outstanding Service by the State Association
of School Boards; a 1979 Distinguished Service Award from the South Dakota
High School Activities Association, and, in 1980, the A. H. Robins Community
Service Award for Outstanding Community Service by a physician.
Dr. Johnson was an avid reader, a world traveler and a photographer. Using slides from his travels, he presented travelogues to schools, club, and churches. His extensive collection of wildflower photos and slides is an outstanding remembrance for his family.
Grant County Review
October 1, 1997